June 15, 2021 - 11:00
June 15, 2021 - 13:00
This Qualitative Research module will mainly introduce participants to Qualitative Research and Computer Assisted Qualitative Data Analysis (CAQDAS) through the use of NVivo, a software program used for qualitative and mixed-methods research. It will be divided into two main parts, starting with a general theoretical introduction on Qualitative Research and moving on to the more practical part, in which participants will be provided with the opportunity to attend a demonstration of entering and coding qualitative data. Initially, prior to the workshop, participants will be provided with some pre-reading and pre-viewing material, through which they will be informed about the specific software, NVivo, and they will be given instructions as to how to install it on their device, so as to prepare for the synchronous workshop. During the synchronous workshop, the trainer(s) will firstly provide a brief introduction to Qualitative Research theory, key considerations of Qualitative Data Analysis (QDA) and then describe how CAQDAS can support QDA. The basic features of NVivo will then be demonstrated, focusing on how it can be used for entering and coding data mainly yielded from interviews, pdf, surveys, websites, among others.
The learning goals of this module are to:
- Introduce participants to Qualitative Research
- Name key considerations of Qualitative Data Analysis (QDA)
- Describe how Computer Assisted Qualitative Data Analysis can support QDA
- Understand basic features of NVivo
- Learn how to enter and code raw data, organise your coding, or your cases, write memos and explore data in NVivo
The contents of the module will be presented and carried out, using a variety of modes, such as show and tell as well as more interactive activities. The synchronous workshop will close with feedback and Q&As, providing participants with food for thought, as well as with the tools for further exploring the affordances of the NVivo software. Finally, the trainers will provide participants with a more advanced reading list.
Module structure and teaching methods
- Introductory learning activities (asynchronous). Participants will be provided with a core reading list of scientific and media articles as well as a number of online videos. Completion of this task will be required to participate successfully in the workshop.
- Workshop (synchronous). The workshop will be the sole synchronous element of the course.
- Workshop: To be delivered online (June 15, 2021). Participants will receive information about Qualitative Research, Computer Assisted Qualitative Data Analysis (CAQDAS), and Qualitative Coding. Duration: 90 minutes = 40 minutes interactive introduction, 50 minutes NVivo demo.
- Feedback session: The workshop will be followed directly by a 15 minute feedback session about the module.
- Further activities (asynchronous). A more advanced reading list will be provided to participants in order to deepen their knowledge.
All DETEL webinars are supplied with additional materials in mini-courses on the open Tech4comp platform.
How to join
The link to join the webinar will be sent to all registered participants. The registration will remain open for the duration of the webinar series (until 2 July 2021). Register now!