Call for Contributions
WELL4SD: Wearable Enhanced Learning in support of Sustainable Development
Online workshop at the 15th European Conference on Technology Enhanced Learning http://www.ec-tel.eu/
14 – 18 September 2020 / https://easychair.org/cfp/WELL4SD
This workshop will focus on the implications of WELL to achieve Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), including, for example, contributing to securing quality education during the COVID-19 pandemic (UN SDG #3 and #4), providing the learning and training for resilient infrastructure construction and low-emission transport (UN SDG #9), or supporting the knowledge exchange connected with the switch to a circular economy (UN SDG #12).
- Submission deadline for short papers (5-9 pages): 10 July 2020
- Author notification of acceptance: 31 July 2020
- Camera-ready deadline: 7 September 2020
Please submit your contribution via EasyChair https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=well4sd
Position papers will follow the submission format of the main conference (LNCS Format), and should be 5-9 pages long. A short paper is a paper with references and has between 5-9 LNCS-equivalent pages.
All submissions should clearly articulate the key contribution to the workshop in terms of the value of wearable technologies to achieve Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Please use the LNCS template: https://www.springer.com/de/it-informatik/lncs/conference-proceedings-guidelines and submit your contribution as PDF via EasyChair.
We aim to publish the workshop proceedings at CEUR-WS.org
Topic include, but are not limited to:
- Wearable technologies for equitable quality education (on primary, secondary and tertiary levels)
- Wearable technologies for learning at the workplace including the context of industry 4.0
- Wearable technologies for learning and behaviour change in well-being, healthcare and fitness
- Learning and training with wearable technologies in support of other sustainable development goals including lifelong learning
- Data collection, analytics and critical issues in context of WELL
- Security and privacy for WELL
This workshop is the offspring of the Special Interest Group on Wearable-technology Enhanced Learning (SIG WELL, http://ea-tel.eu/special-interest-groups/well/) in the context of the European Association for Technology Enhanced Learning (EATEL).
Based on the insights from the edited Springer book titled “Perspectives on Wearable Enhanced Learning (WELL). Current Trends, Research, and Practice” and edited by the workshop organisers: https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9783319643007
a number of critical issues related to current quality, equity and ethical issues have been identified and pinpointed by the authors of the chapters. The motivation for the workshop is to provide a synopsis of these insights in view of the Sustainable Development Goals and initiate a discussion about the future of WELL against the dropback of current global challenges and quality education.
The workshop is a half-day event and will take place online, in the social VR platform like https://hubs.mozilla.com/#/
(1) Presentation of the EATEL SIG WELL and past activities
(2) Presentation of the edited Springer book titled “Perspectives on Wearable Enhanced Learning (WELL). Current Trends, Research, and Practice” and key issues related to Sustainable Development Goals and Quality Education.
(3) Short presentations by authors of selected short position papers
(4) Small group discussions at round tables on the three key aspects:
- Barriers and opportunities of WELL for quality education
- Barriers and opportunities of WELL for learning in industry 40
- Barriers and opportunities of WELL for lifelong learning
(5) Presentation of results from small group discussions
(6) Summary and definition of the key lines of thoughts for the position paper
- Ilona Buchem, Beuth University of Applied Sciences Berlin, Germany
- Ralf Klamma, RWTH Aachen University, Germany
- Fridolin Wild, Oxford Brookes University, UK
- Mikhail Fominykh, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway