2018 conference on Artificial Intelligence in Education (AIED 2018)
AIED 2018 – Announcement and 1st Call for papers https://aied2018.utscic.edu.au/
For the 2018 conference on Artificial Intelligence in Education, we are excited to have a co-located event, the “Festival of Learning”, together with the International Conference of the Learning Sciences (ICLS) and “Learning at Scale” (L@S). The Festival will take place in London (UK) between June 24 and 30. AIED 2018 will take up recent trends emerging from AI and Neural Science, asking how these advances can impact human learning at various scales and in various contexts. Moreover, we ask how the fields of Artificial Intelligence and Learning Sciences may speak to one another at the confluence, which is the field of Artificial Intelligence in Education. Thus, the theme of this year’s conference is “Bridging the Behavioral and the Computational: Deep Learning in Humans and Machines”.
AIED 2018 will be 19th edition of a longstanding series of international conferences, formerly bi-annual and now annual, known for high quality research on intelligent systems and cognitive science approaches for educational computing applications. Bruce McLaren and Benedict du Boulay will be the general conference chairs. Rose Luckin, Kaska Porayska-Pomsta and Manolis Mavrikis are responsible for the local organisation. Carolyn Rose, Roberto Martinez-Maldonado, and Ulrich Hoppe are the program co-chairs.
AIED 2018 solicits empirical and theoretical papers particularly (but not
exclusively) in the following lines of research and application:
1. Intelligent and Interactive Technologies in an Educational Context: Natural language processing and speech technologies; Data mining and machine learning; Knowledge representation and reasoning; Semantic web technologies; Multi-agent architectures; Tangible interfaces, wearables and augmented reality.
2. Modelling and Representation: Models of learners, including open learner models; facilitators, tasks and problem-solving processes; Models of groups and communities for learning; Modelling motivation, metacognition, and affective aspects of learning; Ontological modelling; Computational thinking and model-building; Representing and analyzing activity flow and discourse during learning.
3. Models of Teaching and Learning: Intelligent tutoring and scaffolding; Motivational diagnosis and feedback; Interactive pedagogical agents and learning companions; Agents that promote metacognition, motivation and affect; Adaptive question-answering and dialogue, Educational data mining, Learning analytics and teaching support, Learning with simulations 4. Learning Contexts and Informal Learning: Educational games and gamification; Collaborative and group learning; Social networks; Inquiry learning; Social dimensions of learning; Communities of practice; Ubiquitous learning environments; Learning through construction and making; Learning grid; Lifelong, museum, out-of-school, and workplace learning.
5. Evaluation: Studies on human learning, cognition, affect, motivation, and attitudes; Design and formative studies of AIED systems; Evaluation techniques relying on computational analyses.
6. Innovative Applications: Domain-specific learning applications (e.g.
language, science, engineering, mathematics, medicine, military, industry); Scaling up and large-scale deployment of AIED systems.
Please submit all papers at https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=aied2018.
Full papers, short papers, and industry papers will be published by Springer Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS). Submissions should be in Springer format. Seehttps://www.springer.com/computer/lncs?SGWID=0-164-6-793341-0 for more details.
– Full papers (10-12 pages, not including references)
– Posters (4 pages) – Industry Papers (up to 4 pages)
– Workshop proposals (2-4 pages)
– Tutorial proposals (2-4 pages)
– Doctoral consortium (4 pages): submission target to be announced
– Interactive Events (2 pages)
– Abstract for Full Papers: Jan 31, 2018, 11:59pm PST
– Full Papers & Posters: Feb 7, 2018, 11:59pm PST
– Industry Papers: Feb 7, 2018, 11:59pm PST
– Workshop & Tutorial Proposals: Jan 13, 2018, 11:59pm PST
– Doctoral Consortium papers: Feb 26, 2018, 11:59pm PST
– Interactive Events: April 7, 2018, 11:59pm PST